The Brain Injury Research Lab is focused on effective language and cognitive intervention for individuals with brain injury (stroke, traumatic brain injury, neurodegenerative disorders).
Dr. Chiou’s current projects include –
- Patient-centered language and cognitive intervention
- Learning experiences of college students with traumatic brain injury
- Meaningful engagement opportunities for people with dementia and their care partners
Chiou, H.S. & Allison, A. (2019). Semantic dementia. In R. Utianski (Ed.), Primary Progressive Aphasia and Other Frontotemporal Dementias: Diagnosis and Treatment of Associated Communication Disorders (pp. 45-75). San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing.
Abbott-Anderson, K., Chiou, H.S., Burk, B.N. (2019). Spring EngAGEment: An inter-professional collaboration to enhance community interaction and university education. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Special Interest Division, 2, Perspectives on Neurogenic Communication Disorders, 4, 91– 96.
Chiou, H.S. & Yu, V. (2018). Measuring life participation, communicative confidence, language and cognition in people with aphasia. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Special Interest Division, 2, Perspectives on Neurogenic Communication Disorders, 3, 4 – 12. doi: 10.1044/persp3.sig2.4
Chiou, H.S. (2016). Cognition and aphasia. Journal of Taiwan Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 35, 49-59.
Chiou, H.S. & Chang, S.S. (Oct 2, 2015). Bilingualism and Communication Disorders. Chicago Chinese News.
Kennedy, M. R. T., Wozniak, J., Muetzel, R., Chiou, H., Pantekoek, K., & Lim, K. O. (2009). White matter changes and neurocognitive correlates in adults with traumatic brain injury. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 15, 130-136. dio: 10.1017/s1355617708090024
Chiou, H. & Kennedy, M.R.T. (2009). Switching in adults with aphasia, Aphasiology, 23, 1 – 11. doi: 10.1080/02687030802642028
Kennedy, M. R. T., Coelho, C., Turkstra, L., Ylvisaker, M., Sohlberg, M.M., Yorkston, K., Chiou, H., & Kan, P. (2008). Intervention for executive functions after traumatic brain injury: A systematic review, meta-analysis and clinical recommendations. Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, 18 (3), 257-299. doi: 10.1080/09602010701748644
Chiou, H. (2007). Switching in adults with aphasia (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, MN.
Chiou, H. & Kennedy, M.R.T. (2007). An overview of executive functioning and switching in aphasia. Retrieved (/11, June, 2007/) from www.msha.net.
Chiou, H. & Watson, P. (Sept 2005). The effect of speaking rate on supersegmentals: An acoustic and perceptual analysis. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 118 (3), 2024 – 2024. DOI: 10.1121/1.4785763.
Kennedy, M.R.T. & Chiou, H. (2005). Assessment tools for adolescents and adults in languages other than English. Perspectives on Neurophysiology and Neurogenic Speech and Language Disorders, 15(2), 20 – 23. doi: 10.1044/nnsld15.2.20
Graduate Assistant: Kalley Hoffmann
Current students working in the lab (2019 – present):
- Graduate students: Paige Borreson, Alle Bowman, Hanna Esquivel, Rylie Fourre, Stefanie Gram, Amber Hagen, Meghan Hendricks, Jordan Hinz, Bridget Hoban, Kalley Hoffman, Lindsay Kothe, Kelsey Kuhlman, Emma Laudenbach, Ashton Lee, Molly McVey, Ashley Schaefer, Kaylee Vanderhoff, Kristin Vigil, Brittany Wickoren
- Undergraduate students: Jordan Anderson, Hannah Bradley, Brianna Ciaccio, Autum Erickson, Emma Gale, Paige Kennedy, Brittaney Kroll, Zoya Parsi, Taylor Nase , Bailey Weibel, Samantha Witt, Natalie Wrobleski, Erin Connors, Jordan Enevold